Research Bibliography, Satanic Ritual Abuse
By Bob and Gretchen Passantino
Inclusion of materials in this bibliography does not mean that the authors agree with or responsible for any or all of the views presented therein.
- Chase, Truddi. When Rabbit Howls. New York: Jove Books, 1987.
- Cooper, John Charles. The Black Mask. Nutley, NJ: Revell Books, 1990.
- Friesen, James G. Uncovering the Mystery of MPD. San Bernardino, CA: Here's Life Publishers, 1991.
- Hicks, Robert D. In Pursuit of Satan: The Police and the Occult. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1991.
- Kahaner, Larry. Cults That Kill. New York: Warner Books, 1988.
- Larson, Bob. Dead Air. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1991.
- Larson, Bob. Satanism: The Seduction of America's Youth. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1989.
- LaVey, Anton Szandor. The Satanic Bible. New York: Avon Books, 1969.
- Loftus, Elizabeth and Katherine Ketcham. Witness for the Defense. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1991.
- Lyons, Arthur. Satan Wants You. New York: The Mysterious Press, 1988.
- Mayer, Robert S. Satan's Children.
- Manshel, Lisa. Nap Time. New York: Kensington Publishing Corp., 1990.
- Passantino, Bob and Gretchen Passantino. When the Devil Dares Your Kids. Ann Arbor, MI: Servant Publications, 1991.
- Richardson, James T., Joel Best and David G. Bromley. The Satanism Scare. New York: Aldine de Gruyter, 1991.
- Riddell, Myra B. Ritual Abuse. Los Angeles: Ritual Abuse Task Force, Los Angeles County Commission for Women, 1989.
- Sanford, Doris. Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy. Portland, OR: Multnomah Press, 1990.
- Smith, Michelle and Lawrence Pazder. Michelle Remembers. New York: Congdon & Latt's, Inc., 1980.
- Spencer, Judith. Suffer the Child. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1989.
- Stratford, Lauren. Satan's Underground. Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing Company, Inc., 1988 (First published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon).
- Victor, Jeffrey S. Satanic Panic: The creation of a contemporary Legend. Chicago: Open Court, 1993.
- Warnke, Mike. The Satan Seller. Plainfield, NJ: Logos Books, 1972.
- Alexander, David. "Giving the Devil More than His Due," The Humanist, March/April 1990, pp. 5-34.
- Best, Joel. "Missing Children, Misleading Statistics," The Public Interest, pp. 84-92.
- Beyette, Beverly. "Not-So-Total Recall," The Los Angeles Times, September 10, 1991.
- Brennan, Pat. "Therapists in Satanic-Cult Case Deny Altering Patients' Memories" (April 2, 1991);
- "Therapy Can Help Victims Separate Fact from Fantasy" (March 24, 1991); "Bad Memories Can End Up in Court" (March 24, 1991); "Satanic Abuse Called Common" (April 3, 1991); "OC Mother Denies Pair's Satanic-Abuse Claims" (April 4, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Brennan, Pat and James V. Grimaldi. "Counselor Defends His Past and Present" (April 14, 1991), The Orange County Register.
- Brick, Susan S. and James A. Chu. "The Simulation of Multiple Personalities: A Case Report," Psychotherapy, Vol. 28, Summer 1991, pp. 267-271.
- Campbell, Ronald. "Girl Testifies Grandmother Subjected Her to Cult Ritual" (March 22, 1991);
- "Psychologist Casts Doubt on Sisters in Satanism Case" (March 22, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Chu, Henry. "Sisters Were Coaxed into Recalling Satanic Rites, Psychologist Testifies" (April 2, 1991); "Suit Claiming Satanic Abuse Nearing Jury" (April 11, 1991); "'Absolutely Not' Accused Says to Satanic Charges" (April 4, 1991); The Los Angeles Times.
- Coleman, Lee. "False Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse," Forum, January-February 1986, pp. 12-22.
- Coleman, Lee. "Learning from the McMartin Hoax," Issues in Child Abuse Accusations, I:2:68-71.
- Coons, Philip M. "Factitious Disorder (Munchausen Type) Involving Allegations of Ritual Satanic Abuse: A Case Report," Dissociation, III:4:177-178.
- Coons, Philip M. "Iatrogenic Factors in the Misdiagnosis of Multiple Personality Disorder," Dissociation, 2:2:70-76.
- Cozolino, Louis J. "The Ritual Abuse of Children: Implications for Clinical Practice and Research," The Journal of Sex Research, 26:1:131-138.
- Cramer, Jerome. "Why Children Lie in Court," Time, March 4, 1991, p. 76.
- Daly, Lawrence W. and J. Frank Pacifico. "Opening the Doors to the Past: Decade Delayed Disclosure of Memories of Years Gone By," The Champion, December 1991, pp. 43-47.
- Doe, Jane. "How Could This Happen? Coping with a False Accusation of Incest and Rape," Issues in Child Abuse Accusations, 3:3:154-165.
- Dorschner, John. "Speak of the Devil: Psychotherapy Discovers Satan," Tropic, November 5, 1989, pp. 13-19.
- Downing, Shirley and Tom Charlier, "Justice Aborted: A 1980s Witch-Hunt," The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, TN, January 17-23, 1988.
- Efron, Sonni. "Witness Denies Defense Allegation in Cult Case" (April 2, 1991); "Forced to Kill Her Baby, Woman Says" (March 22, 1991); "Girl Tells Court in Satanic Trial of Blood Ritual" (March 24, 1991); "Psychotherapist Testifies He Has Treated Scores of Victims of Alleged Satanic Cults (March 23, 1991); "Expert Tells of Finding Some Physical Signs of Satanic Child Abuse" (April 3, 1991); "Satanic Child Abuse Suit May Lend Credibility to Future Cases" (April 17, 1991); The Los Angeles Times.
- Efron, Sonni and Henry Chu. "Jury Splits Its Verdict in Cult Trial" (April 13, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Frattarola, John. "America's Best Kept Secret," Passport, Special Report, n.d., pp. 2-15.
- Ganaway, George K. "Historical versus Narrative Truth: Clarifying the Role of Exogenous Trauma in the Etiology of MPD and Its Variants," Dissociation, II:4:205-220.
- Gelernter, Carey Quan. "A Conspiracy of Evil?" The Seattle Times, Sunday-Tuesday, February 18- 20, 1989.
- Gonzales, Laurence. "Satanic Panic," Penthouse, September 1990, pp. 135-186.
- Grimaldi, James V. "Jurors Hear Lurid Testimony in Abuse Suit" (March 23, 1991), The Orange County Register.
- Hicks, Jerry. "Mother Accused of Satanism Says Daughters Seek Inheritance" (April 5, 1991); The Los Angeles Times.
- Hicks, Robert. "Police Pursuit of Satanic Crime, Parts I and II," Skeptical Inquirer, Vol. 14, Spring 1990, pp. 277-285, and Vol. 14, Summer 1990, pp. 378-389.
- Johnson, John and Steve Padilla. "Satanism: Growing Concern -- And Skepticism," Los Angeles Times, April 23, 1991.
- Jones, David P. H. "Commentary: Ritualism and Child Sexual Abuse," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 15, 1991, pp. 163-170.
- Jonker, F. and P. Jonker-Bakker, "Experiences with Ritualist Child Sexual Abuse: A Case Study from the Netherlands," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 15, 1991, pp. 191-196.
- Kluft, Richard P. "An Introduction to Multiple Personality Disorder," Psychiatric Annals, January 1984, pp. 2-6.
- Kluft, Richard P. "An Update on Multiple Personality Disorder," Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 38:4:363-371.
- Lachnit, Carroll. "'Satan Trial' Jurors Rule for 2 Sisters" (April 14, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Lait, Matt. "New Cult Trial for Damages Denied Sisters" (June 15, 1991); The Los Angeles Times.
- Lanning, Kenneth V. "Commentary/Ritual Abuse: A Law Enforcement View or Perspective," Child Abuse and Neglect, 15:1991:171-173.
- Lanning, Kenneth V. "Satanic, Occult, Ritualistic Crime: A Law Enforcement Perspective," The Police Chief, October 1989.
- Lund, Diane S. "Psychiatrists Debate the Extent of Ritual Abuse," The Psychiatric Times, April 1991, pp. 54-55.
- McDowell, Rider. "A Vision of Murder," California, June 1991, pp. 63-101.
- Miller, Jeffry. "Novel on Abuse by Satanic Cult Draws Ire of Christians" The Orange County Register, December 3, 1991.
- Miller, Jeffrey and Donna Wares. "Satanic Abuse Often Cited by Multiple-Personality Types," The Orange County Register, April 14, 1991.
- Nathan, Debbie. "Are These Women Child Molesters?" The Village Voice, XXXII:39:19-32.
- Nathan, Debbie. "False Evidence: How Bad Science Fueled the Hysteria over Child Abuse," LA Weekly, April 7-13, 1989, pp. 15-18.
- Nathan, Debbie. "The Ritual Sex Abuse Hoax," The Village Voice, June 12, 1990, pp. 36-44.
- Nathan, Debbie. "Sex, the Devil, and Day Care," The Village Voice, XXXII:39:25-26.
- Nathan, Debbie. "Stories Could Lead to Witch Hunt," El Paso Herald-Post, September 21, 1988, B-6.
- Nathan, Debbie. "Victimizer or Victim?" The Village Voice, XXXIII:31:31-39.
- Orne, Martin T., David F. Dinges, and Emily Carota Orne. "On the Differential Diagnosis of Multiple Personality in the Forensic Context," Institutional Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, XXXII:2:118-169.
- Passantino, Bob and Gretchen Passantino, "The Wide Paintbrush," Cornerstone, 19:93:15, 16.
- Passantino, Bob, "Satanic Panic," Cornerstone, 19:94:17, 22.
- Passantino, Gretchen, "Stolen Innocence," Cornerstone, 19:94:14, 24.
- Passantino, Gretchen, Bob Passantino, and Jon Trott. "Satan's Sideshow," Cornerstone, 18:90:26-28.
- Putnam, Frank W. "Commentary: The Satanic Ritual Abuse Controversy," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 15, 1991, pp. 175-179.
- Rogers, Martha. "Evaluating an Alleged Satanic Ritualistic Abuser: What We Don't Know," Issues in Child Abuse Accusations, 3:3:166-177.
- Sifford, Darrell. "Accusations of Sex Abuse, Years Later," The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 24, 1991.
- Snow, Barbara and Teena Sorensen. "Ritualistic Child Abuse in a Neighborhood Setting," Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 5:4:474-487.
- Spanos, Nicholas P., John R. Weekes, and Lorne D. Bertrand. "Multiple Personality: A Social Psychological Perspective," Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 94:3:362-376.
- Spanos, Nicholas P., Evelyn Menary, Natalie J. Gabora, Susan C. DuBreuil, and Bridget Dewhirst. "Secondary Identity Enactments During Hypnotic Past-Life Regression: A Sociocognitive Perspective," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 61:2:308-320.
- Springston, Rex. "Experts Say Tales Are Bunk," The Richmond News Leader, (Richomnd, Virginia) April 6, 1989.
- Springston, Rex. "Local Believers Short on Evidence," The Richmond News Leader, (Richmond, Virginia) April 7, 1989.
- Tanner, Jerald and Sandra. "Ritualistic Child Abuse and the Mormon Church," Salt Lake City Messenger, Issue 80, November 1991, pp. 1-15.
- Trott, Jon. "About the Devil's Business," Cornerstone, 19:93:8-10.
- Trott, Jon. "Satanic Panic: The Ingram Family and Other Victims of Hysteria in America," Cornerstone, 20:95:9-12.
- Underwager, Ralph and Hollida Wakefield, "Cur Allii, Prae Aliis? (Why Some, And Not Others?)," Issues in Child Abuse Accusations, 3:3:178-193.
- Victor, Jeffrey S. "Jamestown's Satanic Panic: What Really Happened in 1988," Jamestown Post- Journal, (Jamestown, New York) September 23, 1989.
- Victor, Jeffrey S. "The Satanic Cult Scare and Allegations of Ritual Child Abuse," Issues in Child Abuse Accusations, 3:3:135-143.
- Victor, Jeffrey S. "Satanic Cult 'Survivor' Stories," Skeptical Inquirer, Vol. 15, Spring 1991, pp. 274- 280.
- Victor, Jeffrey S. "The Spread of Satanic-Cult Rumors," Skeptical Inquirer, Vol. 14, Spring 1990, pp. 287-291.
- Wakefield, Hollida and Ralph Underwager. "Sexual Abuse Allegations in Divorce and Custody Disputes," Behavioral Sciences and the Law, in press.
- Wares, Donna. "Women Take Mother to Trial, Alleging Ritual and Sexual Abuse" (March 19, 1991); "Woman Describes Satanic-Cult Abuse by Parents" (March 21, 1991); "Media Interest in Landmark Trial is Intense" (April 14, 1991); "Mother in Satanic-Abuse Case Aims to Repair Tainted Image" (April 17, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Wares, Donna and Jeffry Miller. "Satanic Abuse: Truth or a Modern Legend?" (March 25, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Watters, Ethan. "The Devil in Mr. Ingram," Mother Jones, July/August 1991, pp. 30-68.
- Weber, Tracy. "Satanic-Abuse Case Goes to Jury" (April 11, 1991); "Tearful Jurors Say They'll Never Forget Horrifying Testimony" (April 13, 1991); The Orange County Register.
- Weaver, Patricia. "Ritual Abuse, Pornography, and the Occult," SCP Newsletter, 14:4:1989:1-4.
- Whitley, Glenna. "The Seduction of Gloria Grady," D Magazine, October 1991, pp. 45-71.
- Wielawski, Irene. "Unlocking the Secrets of Memory," The Los Angeles Times, October 3, 1991.
- Young, Walter, Roberta G. Sachs, Bennett G. Braun, and Ruth T. Watkins. "Patients Reporting Ritual Abuse in Childhood: A Clinical Syndrome. Report of 37 Cases," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 15, pp. 181-189.
Unpublished Research and/or Papers
- Bottoms, Bette L., Phillip R. Shaver, and Gail S. Goodman. "Profile of Ritualistic and Religion- Related Abuse Allegations Reported to Clinical Psychologists in the United States," presented at the ninety-ninth annual convention of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, August 19, 1991. Project of the Department of Psychology, Park Hall, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14260.
- Braun, Bennett G., "Multiplicity: Form, Function & Phenomena," Assoicated Mental Health Services, Chicago, 1983.
- Ganaway, George K. "Alternative Hypotheses Regarding Satanic Ritual Abuse Memories," presented at the ninety-ninth annual convention of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, August 19, 1991.
- Gould, Catherine. "Signs and Symptoms of Ritualistic Abuse in Children," Brentwood, California.
- Greaves, George B. "Alternative Hypotheses Regarding Claims of Satanic Cult Activity," Darkness and Light: Satanism and Ritual Abuse Unveiled, Lexington Books, in press.
- Hicks, Robert. "None Dare Call It Reason: Kids, Cults, and Common Sense," talk prepared for the Virginia Department for Children's 12th Annual Legislative Forum, Roanoke, Virginia, September 22, 1989.
- Hicks, Robert. "Satanic Cults: A Skeptical View of the Law Enforcement Approach," adapted from a presentation given at the 11th annual crime prevention conference of the Virginia Crime Prevention Association, Chesapeake, Viriginia, June 23, 1989.
- Hudson, Pamela S. "Therapy with Children Who Have Been Ritualistically Abused," presented at seminar sponsored by The Child Abuse Prevention Council, Contra Costa County, California, March 31, 1989.
- Hudson, Pamela S. "Ritual Child Abuse Questionnaire," self-published, Mendocino, California, March 17, 1989.
- Humphrey, Hubert H. III. "Report on Scott County Investigations," prepared by the Minnesota State Attorney General's Office, February 12, 1985.
- Kelley, Susan J. "Responses of Children to Ritualistic Abuse in Day Care Centers," presented at the ninety-ninth annual conference of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, August 19, 1991.
- Mulhern, Sherrill. "Ritual Abuse: Creating a Context for Belief," Laboratoire des Rumeurs, Paris.
- Mulhern, Sherrill. "Ritual Abuse: Defining a Syndrome vs. Defending a Belief," Laboratoire des Rumeurs, Paris, 1991.
- Ofshe, Richard J. "Inadvertent Hypnosis During Interrogation: False Confession Due to Dissociative State; Mis-Identified Multiple Personality and the Satanic Cult Hypothesis," Department of Sociology, University of California (Berkeley), in press.
- Snowden, Kathy K. "Satanic Cult Ritual Abuse," Richmond Psychotherapy Associates, Richmond, Virginia.
- Devil Worship: The Rise of Satanism, Jeremiah Films, 1989.
- In the Name of Satan, Compassion Connection, Inc., 1990.
- Satanism Symposium, Compassion Connection, Inc., 1990.
The Lord's Servant must not quarrel; instead,
he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not
resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently
instruct, in the hope that God will give them a change
of heart leading to a knowledge of the truth
II Timothy 2:24-26