Survey of Books on Women in the Church
The following books are recommended by Bob and Gretchen Passantino and Answers In Action to give the reader a broad background in the issue of women in positions of leadership and teaching in the Christian church. The books represent a variety of positions and come from different church perspectives. Although we do not agree with everything in each of them, we believe that they are representative of the most important issues facing Christian women and the church today.
- Behr_Sigel, Elisabeth. The Ministry of Women in the Church. Redondo Beach, CA:
Oakwood Publications, 1991.
- Bilezikian, Gilbert. Beyond Sex Roles. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1985.
- Clouse, Bonnidell and Robert G. Clouse, eds. Women in Ministry: Four Views.
Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1989.
- Grenz, Stanley J. Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry.
Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1995.
- Groothuis, Rebecca Merrill. Women Caught in the Conflict: The Culture War
between Traditionalism and Feminism. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1994.
- Hull, Gretchen Gaebelein. Equal to Serve: Women and Men Working Together
Revealing the Gospel. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1991.
- Kassian, Mary A. Women, Creation, and the Fall. Westchester, IL: Crossway
- Kroeger, Richard Clark and Catherine Clark Kroeger. I Suffer not a Woman:
Rethinking 1 Timothy 2:5_11 in Light of Ancient Evidence. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker
Book House, 1992.
- Kostenberger, Andreas J., Thomas R. Schreiner, and H. Scott Baldwin, eds. Women
in the Church: A Fresh Analysis of 1 Timothy 2:9_15. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker
Book House, 1995.
- Malphurs, Aubrey. Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel
- Michelsen, Alvera, ed. Women, Authority and the Bible. Downers Grove, IL:
InterVarsity Press, 1986.
- Piper, John and Wayne Grudem, eds. Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood:
A Response to Evangelical Feminism. Westchester, IL: Crossway Books, 1991.
- Tucker, Ruth A. and Walter Liefeld. Daughters of the Church: Women and Ministry
from New Testament Times to the Present. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan
Publishing House, 1987.
- Tucker, Ruth A. Women in the Maze: Questions and Answers on Biblical Equality.
Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1992.
The Lord's Servant must not quarrel; instead,
he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not
resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently
instruct, in the hope that God will give them a change
of heart leading to a knowledge of the truth
II Timothy 2:24-26